(Assemblée Nationale) The Palais Bourbon stands in the Place
du Palais Bourbon which still retains its 1786 features. Built in 1728
by the Duchesse de Bourbon, the Palace was confiscated during the Revolution;
the Conseil des Cinq Cents held its meetings in it, in 1795.
In 1805 Napoléon ordered the construction of the Concorde façade,
to match the Madeleine. In 1827 the sessions hall was re-arranged, for
the use of the legislative Body.
The pediment on the façade was sculpted by Corot (1842); statues
of Minerva and Themis, both by Houdon, stand at the top of the steps;
Rude (right) and Pradier (left) made the two bas-reliefs on the walls.
The ceiling in the lobby is by Horace Vernet, the session and conference
halls are decorated with statues and paintings, and the beautiful library
is the work of Delacroix.