The Ecole Militaire, one of the best architectural monuments of the XVlllth
century, stands at the bottom of the Champ de Mars It was built by Paris-Duverney,
a financier, and Mme de Pompadour, who obtained a charter for the Ecole
Royale Militaire in 1761.
The building was completed in 1772, and the Champ de Mars was used as
a training ground. In 1777, the Ecole Royale became the Ecole Supérieure
des Cadets to which Napoleon was admitted in 1784. Nowadays, the building
is used by the Ecole Superleure de Guerre, the Centre des Hautes Etudes