Hôtel and the Museum of Cluny.
The Ancien Hôtel des Abbés de Cluny, rue de Cluny, was originally
built for Pierre de Calus vicar of Cluny-en-Bourgogne, in 1340. It was
rebuilt, in its present style, between 1470 and 1510.
In 1833 Alexandre du Sommerard, an art collector, lived in the Hôtel,
and brought in his Medieval and Renaissance collections. When he died
in 1842 the State bought the Hôtel and the collections : a museum
was opened, in 1844.
A striking example of the flamboyant gothic style, the Hôtel de
Cluny is the only XVth century private mansion left in Paris, except for
the Hôtel de Sens. Thirty four rooms (old stained glass), are open
to the public who may see Medieval and Renaissance paintings, sculptures,
tapestries, laces, clothes, jewellery, bronze, enamel, ivory, china, ironmongery
arms, etc. A visit should be paid to the Gallo-Roman Thermal baths which
stood, there before the Hotel was built.