The île de la Cité
The Palais de Justice, the Sainte Chapelle, and the Conciergerie
The Cathédrale Notre Dame
The Panthéon and the Quartier Latin
The St. Etienne du Mont Church
The Palais and the Jardin du Luxembourg
The Tour Montparnasse
The St. Germain des Prés Church
The Hôtel and the museum of Cluny
The St. Séverin Church
The St. Julien Le Pauvre Church
The Pont Neuf
The Hôtel de la Monnaie and the Palais de L'Institut
The Palais Bourbon
The Hôtel des Invalides
The Ecole Militaire
The Unesco Palace
The Tour Eiffel
The Arc de Triomphe
The Place de la Concorde
The Madeleine Church
The Théatre de l'Opéra
The Colonne Vendôme
The Théatre Français
The Palais Royal
The Palais du Louvre
The Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel
The St. Germain l'Auxerrois Church
The Tour St. Jacques
The Hôtel de Ville
The Marais
The Palais de Chaillot
Montmartre and the
Basilique du Sacré Coeur
The hôtel des Invalides.

The Hôtel des Invalides was founded by Louis XIV in 1760 as an abode for some seven thousand old invalid Soldiers. The Hotel des Invalides was completed in 1676 and its beauty was enhanced when Mansart added the Dome between 1679 and 1706. In 1840, Napoléon's ashes were brought back to France, and on 15th December were placed in a superb sarcophagus, under the Dôme des Invalides.

The majestic facade is 210 meters long. There is a magnificent portal in the middle, and a pavillon at each. Decorative trophies have been placed round the attic windows. An equestrian statue of Louis XIV stands in front, and in the Quadrangle is a statue of the « Little Corporal ». The fourth side of the Quadrangle is closed by the facade of the Saint-Louis des Invalides church. In the Napoléon side-chapel are a plaster death mask of the Emperor, Iying on his death bed and his tombstone, which was brought back from St-Helena. Berlioz's Requiem was given its first public performance in the Saint-Louis des Invalides Church, in 1837. The Galerie de l'Occident (western Gallery), leads to the Musée de l'Armée, the most important military collection in the world. The Corridor de Metz leads to a garden opening on Place Vauban.

The Dome Mansart's masterpiece, which he made in perfect jesuit style, is seen at is best advantage from the Place. Statues of Saint-Louis (by Couston) and of Charlemagne (by Coysevox) stand in front ot the church, which is richly decorated. There are paintings on all the cupolas, the walls are adorned with pilasters and bas-reliefs; the floor is of inlaid marble. The Emperor's vault stands in the centre of the church in a open circular crypt surrounded by a marble balustrade. The red porphyry sarcophagus rests on a green marble foudation. The floor of the crypt is of stellar design. Twelve huge Pradier sculptures, symbol of the Napoléon campaigns, stand against an open gallery. The whole is a breathtaking sight.

Still in the church, one should stop and see the sumptuous High Altar built by Visconti, the graves of Vauban, Marshal Foch Joseph King of Naples (Napoleon's brother), Duroc, Bertrand, Turenne, the Saint-Jerôme Side-Chapel, where Jérôme King of westphalia (Napoléon's brother) is buried, and the urn containing the heart of La Tour d'Auvergne, the first of the imperial Grenadiers.

 
LES GUIDES INI ( ):
En vous recommandant des Guides INI, réserver directement dans l'Hôtel INI de votre choix, c'est l'assurance d'avoir les meilleures conditions tarifaires, de bénéficier de ses offres exclusives, d'obtenir les dernières chambres disponibles, de recevoir le meilleur Accueil, de pouvoir reporter ou annuler votre réservation simplement et rapidement.

en savoir plus