Eglise de la Madeleine.
The Eglise de la Madeleine is in the center of the Place de la Madeleine,
facing the Rue Royale.
The Church, which looks a Greek temple, was begun in 1764 by Constant
d'lvry, and was completed in 1810. Note the sculptured pediment, the
bas-reliefs on the bronze door, Mariage de la Vierge (the Virgin Mary's
wedding) by Pradier, and the Baptême de Clovis (Christening of
Clovis) by Rude.
Apostles on the pendentives, sculptured by Rude, Pradier and Foyatier,
the Sainte-Madeleine group above the High Altar. From the top of the
peristyle splendid view, which includes the Rue Royale, the Obelisque
the Palais Bourbon (National Assembly), and the Dome of the Invalides.